The retail industry is expected to grow at 3.2 – 3.8 percent through 2018 – 2020, as reported by Deloitte. Fierce competition in the retail sector is expected owing to the increasing popularity of online shopping.
In spite of this, retail stores will remain the primary format for purchasing goods and services for a majority of people. And good retail stores will stand apart based on in-store experience, staff-customer interactions, availability of quality goods, and exceptional services.
A functional way of achieving this differentiation is through training that places emphasis on a blended-learning approach that includes a mix of online learning or eLearning, in store training, and on-the-job training (OJT).
Why traditional training does not go far enough into the Retail sector?
- High rate of attrition: The Retail sector witnesses the highest rate of employee attrition when compared to other industries, sometimes reaching 67% a year. Employee on-boarding and training are regularly conducted activities that involve recurring costs linked to time, effort, and money, if executed via traditional training.
- Employees hired on hourly basis: Most retail companies pay their staff on an hourly basis. Online training or eLearning courses are better suited for such environments as they are created and stored for the staff to train themselves during slower hours, while also attending to the store. With micro learning, store reps can access training and make progress in smaller intervals of time.
- Continuous change in products and services: Products and services undergo regular updates and changes, whether it is a single brand retail or a multi-brand one. Using traditional media to keep track of the changing inventory, its uses, features, and benefits is inefficient. It consumes time, and the retention of information is very low, especially when product lines and services undergo regular seasonal changes.
- Understanding the importance of in-store experience: Customers prefer visiting physical stores, which is a socio-psychological phenomenon called In-Store Experience. Retail chains attempt to create a uniform in-store experience aimed at making customers feel at home, regardless of the city or store they visit.
In-store experience is being able to inspect tangible products + the ambience of the retail store (décor and visual merchandizing) + the guidance and attention provided to individual customers. Training on maintaining a consistent in-store experience is better facilitated with a blend of learning modes, tools and strategies that traditional training alone cannot provide. Customer role-play via eLearning courses with a visual + simulation element, which enacts the correct way of interacting with customers and displays a physical rendition of a perfect-looking store, is a great way to train on customer experience.
How has eNyota better trained retail employees?
- Simulation based training: eNyota has created interactive simulation based trainings where employees visualize customer interactions and learn appropriate ways of increasing a customer’s in-store experience.
- Enhanced sales training: eNyota has created challenging sales courses guaranteed to sharpen your retail team’s sales quotient, followed by assessments to test your employees’ sales skills.
- Risk Management via compliance training: For any retail company working with customers, there are legal risks such as discrimination against customers, sexual harassment, reputation damage, and safety hazards. Equipping store reps to recognize these risks and tackle them effectively can save any retail brand a lot of bad PR and possible legal actions.
- Saved costs and increased impact on repeated on-boarding: eNyota helps you create on-boarding courses that deliver maximum impact, with repeated usage to train a single or a group of employees and provide appropriate assessment to test their retention. For retail industries that hire seasonal staff, getting them trained before the holiday season via eLearning is far more cost-effective.
- Access to timely information: eNyota has created informative courses which list the uses and benefits of all products and services. Employees currently refer to these courses while selling to customers, helping them better match customers’ buying needs.
- Creating bite-sized courses + videos: eNyota helps you create bite-sized courses + videos that are designed to engage employees with vital information during the slower times of the day at the store.
- Delivering training on Mobile Devices: eNyota creates training content that works seamlessly on mobile devices, allowing employees to train while waiting for a bus, travelling by cab, in between free time, at the store, and at home (based on your corporate policies).
- Custom training: Let eNyota create custom training content designed to look like and represent your brand, while consisting of training material which is unique to your brand’s needs. Truly, a one of a kind course.
Are your employees getting trained on the go? Why not switch to mobile learning?